Monday, December 12, 2011
Beef and Barley Soup
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 pound of beef (cut into cubes)
1 large onion
1 medium carrot
8 ounces of mushrooms (sliced)
2 tablespoons of minced garlic
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
3/4 cup of dry red wine (cooking wine)
4 cups of chicken stock
2 cups of water
3/4 pearl barley
1/4 cup of chopped parsley
1. Heat 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of oil in a large pot. Season beef with salt and pepper and brown on all sides, 5-7 mins over medium heat. Transfer to plate using slotted spoon.
2. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil, and cook onion, carrot, and mushrooms until golden, stirring occasionally about 12-15 mins. Season with 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
3. Add garlic and tomato paste, and cook, stirring occasionally until caramelized (about 2mins). Remove from heat and add wine. Return to heat, and bring to a boil, scraping up brown bits from bottom using a wooden spoon. Cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
4. Return beef to pot, and add stock and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
5. Add barley, and cook, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover, and cook until beef and barley are tender, 20 to 25 minutes more. Stir in parsley. Makes about 6 bowls.