Monday, July 27, 2015

September 11th Museum

Last weekend I took a trip to NYC for a photography workshop with Ana Brandt. I'll do a separate post with images and information from the workshop, but I wanted to share some iPhone photos from my visit to the 9/11 Museum.
The workshop was located in the Financial District, so the memorial and museum were within walking distance from my hotel. Thank goodness because the cab rides made me so incredibly sick! 

Admission was $24 per person and Chris decided to accompany me for the trip at the last minute. We left the kids with my parents. The price was a drawback at first, but the chances we would visit NYC again without the kids was pretty slim. 

First, we walked over to the memorial and my first reaction was that it was so much larger than it looked in pictures. The size of it was a sad shock. The concept of making the fountain an endless pit was fitting. I saw several names that had "unborn child" listed after it. 
The tickets are timed. We waited outside in a line to enter and it started raining. At first it was okay, but then it started to pour and we got soaked! Finally, we went inside. You descend into the basement of the building. 
This is the original staircase that led from the building out to the street.

There was a good deal of artifacts, but not as many as you would expect given the amount that was lost. The other thing that struck me was how dated everything looked already. There was a camcorder and a phone recovered and they looked ancient. 

There was voice mail recordings playing in several rooms and they were very emotional to listen to. Some that sounded hopeful like an everyday call that they would be fine and others that knew it was their last moments. One message was from a guy in the South Tower who calls his wife after seeing someone jump from the North Tower and fall to the ground. The guy sounded really shaken, but goes on to say that he's safe in the South Tower on the 101st floor. Lives were lost because people in the South Tower were told to stay there where they were safe. 

Lots of photographs I had not seen before. Two fire trucks and an ambulance recovered from the scene, but badly damaged. Only the door of the medical examiner's car was left. I believe they said everyone from this Ladder 3 was lost.
full bike rack of crushed bikes, trauma bags, shoes and clothing that were either covered in ash or blood. They didn't permit photos in most areas, so I was only able to sneak in a few here and there. 
A few steel beams, the shaft of an elevator and piece of one of the tops of the tower. 

There was a room with a photo of each person that was lost. That was shocking too because the room was huge and had photos from floor to ceiling. It was the quieted museum I've ever visited. The surrounding areas around the museum were still under construction. 
I liked that each artifact contained lengthy explanations and personal stories. They used a leaf after names to designate that the person had passed. Several artifacts that were recovered and returned to the families were donated back to the museum.

There were pieces of plane debris, handwritten notes from communication between ground control and those onboard the hijacked planes, video footage of the hijackers entering the airport terminals, and hundreds of "Missing" posters.

I wish we had more time to explore. It is definitely worth the stop if you are planning a trip to NYC.

1 comment: